JOB DESCRIPTION FOR HEAD LIBRARIAN
Malvern College Egypt College Egypt (MCE) understands that our teachers are the most important resource we have in order to afford our students with a first rate academic and holistic international education. We believe that education is about enrichment, not only of the individual but of the communities within which those individuals live and therefore of society in general. MCE College aims to provide an education of the highest possible standard for each of its pupils in key areas of development. The most important of these are the academic, cultural, moral and co-‐‑curricular. We have high expectations of our pupils in terms of their effort, achievements and behaviour and we aim to provide them with the means by which they can develop to the best of their abilities their knowledge, skills and personality. By so doing we seek to develop confident, well-‐‑rounded individuals who can be successful in their own lives and of service to others. It is the quality of the people and the human relationships between them that make MCE special. Whether it is the way in which a department works, a class works or teachers and tutors work with individual pupils, our view of education is based on mutual respect, trust, pastoral care and a positive outlook.
Education -‐‑ Graduate qualified teacher, Bachelors degree in relevant subject area
Experience –Minimum 2 years experience in working with students in the relevant age group. Experience in an international school is preferred but not essential. Experience of the British education system is preferred. Experience in teaching EAL students preferred. Experience in raising achievement and setting aspirational targets is essential.
Skills -‐‑Ability to analyse student data and promote student achievement. An understanding of how the learning continuum flows through the College. Able to use educational ICT to promote learning. Excellent knowledge of curriculum content and pedagogy. Proficient in using a variety of assessment and feedback techniques.
Personal attributes -‐‑ An exemplary practitioner who leads by example. Commitment to uphold and support the schools ethos. Commitment to supporting all aspects of our programme including extra-‐‑curricular activities and contribution to school community. Prepared to work hard in a high performing, fee paying, independent international school.
A clear focus on learning is the foundation stone of MCE’s teacher standards, which guide and inform our approach to our students’ learning and development across each age range. They are:
KNOWING THEIR STUDENTS AS PEOPLE AND HOW THEY LEARN
It is an expectation that MCE teachers have detailed knowledge of not only the developmental characteristics and learning needs of the students they teach, but also their personalities and who they are as people. This requires real empathy and skill in meeting the wide variety of individual learning and pastoral needs of international school students with their differing linguistic, cultural and educational circumstances.
PLANNING AND DELIVERING EXCELLENT LEARNING AND TEACHING
It is an expectation that MCE teachers not only have up to date knowledge of their respective curricula but that they have high expectations for their students and as a result, set challenging learning goals. We want our pupils to gain the best results of which they are capable. Therefore, MCE teachers use a variety of learning and teaching strategies, ideas, resources and digital technology to support their students in achieving these goals and results. They encourage their students to develop a love of learning, of exploring ideas and of discovering the world about them. They encourage active student participation in classes with an emphasis on understanding, creativity and critical thinking so that our students are able to work confidently with others.
ASSESS, PROVIDE FEEDBACK AND REPORT ON STUDENT LEARNING AND PROGRESS
Malvern College Egypt teachers are skilled and effective users of assessment for supporting and developing learning. They use a range of assessment strategies and data to inform their appraisal of students’ progress, which aids their planning, and reporting of student progress and to design appropriate intervention and support.
DEMONSTRATE INTERNATIONAL - MINDEDNESS AND GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP
MCE teachers appreciate the different perspectives and beliefs of people from different countries, cultures, religions and languages. They do so by showing politeness, respect, kindness and concern. These values should permeate every aspect of the school. They recognise the importance of developing our students to be ethical global citizens. MCE teachers want each pupil to develop a sense of self-‐‑worth, knowing the difference between right and wrong and doing the right thing when it comes to making choices.
ENGAGE PROFESSIONALLY IN LEARNING AND WITH THE COMMUNITY
Malvern College Egypt teachers are given access to top quality professional learning. It is an expectation that they participate collaboratively with colleagues to improve their practice. They hold themselves accountable to the highest professional standards in their interactions with colleagues, students and parents.
BRIEF OVERVIEW OF ROLE:
- Develop, support, manage, and promote the library within The College and community
- Ensure that an effective resource and information service is provided to students and staff following the best practices of professional librarianship
- Develop information skills curricula for the year groups to support student learning
- Develop library policies and procedures within the guidelines of MCE
- Provide staff development opportunities in the realm of information and research skills
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Plan and oversee the facility, management, and organisation of the libraries’ physical spaces
- Develop and maintain the collection to support the curriculum
- Provide a safe and comfortable environment for students of all ages
- Promote information skills integration and sharing of resources
- Prepare and manage the budget in collaboration with the College Leadership Team
- Train, supervise, and evaluate staff and helpers; supervise students helpers
- Organise, catalogue, and secure resources to ensure effective retrieval of material
- Create resources lists and reading lists for the MCE Community
- Maximise efficient use of current ICT and databases within the libraries
- Ensure that libraries are attractive and accessible to students and staff including the provision of displays, signage, and publicity materials
- Encourage reading and the enjoyment of literature
- Liaise with external agencies to ensure that the maximum use is made of materials and information from outside organisations that assist students in their research
- Contribute to curriculum development through attendance at Faculty and Departmental discussions, and liaise with individual teachers and year groups
- Inform the Heads of Schools on library status regularly culminating in an end-‐‑of-‐‑year report and statistics
- Coordinate and collaborate with MCE Librarians at other locations
- Support and promote all College policies
- Liaise with procurement / stores with specific regard to text book storage and distribution
- Any other duties as may be required from time to time by the Head of College or College Leadership Team
Malvern College Egypt employees are committed to safeguarding and to promoting the welfare of children and young people. They ensure a secure, stimulating and well managed learning environment that promotes a sense of safety, support and wellbeing.